West Bridgford & District Local History Society talk about Tudor Cinema.
Tudor Square takes its name from the former Tudor Cinema, which was built in a Tudor Revival style on the corner of Central Avenue and Rectory Road. It opened on 14 September 1931, showing Jenny Lind, a biopic of the singer, and Be Big, starring Laurel and Hardy.
It was the first cinema built in the Nottingham area since the advent of “talkies” and much attention had been paid to its acoustic qualities. Similar attention had been paid to the seating, with greater spacing than was normal and affording a clear view to all. In fact, the architect’s brief had been to produce a cinema “that would not hurt the susceptibilities of the most sensitive Bridgfordian”.
The only thing neglected seemed to be the need to stick to the building plans. The cinema extended beyond the council approved building line. This prompted quite a lot of debate amongst councillors as to what they should do. Until one of them pointed out that council rates were calculated according to a building’s area, so the cinema would be paying higher rates. At which, they all relaxed.
The initiative for the cinema came from local residents – some already involved in cinemas – who raised the funds to build it. Local companies were closely involved in the cinema’s construction, with W & F Chell of Albert Road being the builders and making all the fittings and joinery. The bricks came from T & J Smart’s Ludlow Hill brickworks. Plumbing was by H Whitmore of Bridge Grove and Central Avenue.
The cinema closed on 31 October 1959, the final programme being Carry on Teacher and The White Trap.
– Written by West Bridgford & District Local History Society.
West Bridgford & District Local History Society
The Society meets in the hall of the Musters Road Methodist Church, on the corner of Musters Road and Patrick Road. Our talk on Monday 1st November, at 7.30pm, is “My Extra Life”, when West Bridgfordian Mike Newbold will recount his experiences as a TV and cinema extra. Visitors welcome.