“Surprise surprise” salon visits replace glittering annual award ceremony
KH Hair Group wasn’t prepared to let Covid-19 prevent its annual celebrations to recognise the achievements of its most hard-working individuals and teams, so group managing director, Darren Messias, donned his best PPE to carry out surprise visits to the winning salons.
The Awards, usually the biggest night in the KH Hair social calendar, were due to be held at the King Power Stadium in Leicester during April but had to be cancelled due to lockdown restrictions. Understanding the 280+ employees’ disappointment, Darren says he thought it important to still recognise their achievements over the past 12 months, so took the decision to carry out his covert operation and hand out the winning trophies.
“Our annual KH Hair Awards is the only time the whole Group gets together to celebrate the outstanding achievements made by our teams and individuals.” explains Darren. So, while we completely understand why it had to be cancelled, we were all very disappointed.
“During lockdown my intention was always to try and still find a way of celebrating and recognising everyone’s hard work. That, coupled with the fact that since we re-opened, our salons have worked so hard to look after our fantastic and patient clients, made me feel a surprise visit with the winners’ awards would be a real lift for everyone.”
During his surprise salon visits, Darren gave out 19 awards to the Group’s top performers. Always the most coveted award, ‘Salon of the Year’ went to KH Hair Nottingham who also received Salon Highest Retail and Salon Highest Turnover awards. Salon director, Sean McMenamin was delighted to receive the Salon Individual Retail award and the team were also joint winners of the Marketing award alongside the team from the Arnold salon.
Salon directors, Sean and Debbie McMenamin, say they were thrilled. “Five awards is amazing but Salon of the Year really is fantastic.” they said. “It was such brilliant news and a real boost for the staff. We have such a strong and dynamic team and we are truly grateful to each and every one of them.
“We would also like to thank our amazing clients for their support and loyalty as this wouldn’t be possible without them too. It’s such a shame we were not able to celebrate in the true KH Nottingham way but, as soon as we’re able to, we certainly will!”
There were celebrations too for the Beeston salon who, under the leadership of new franchisee, Gareth Bryan, picked up an impressive four accolades including two Salon Retail Improvement awards.
The West Bridgford salon was named winner of the hotly-contested Image of the Year award.
KH Hair Group is celebrating 100 years of business in 2020 and has recently announced a new corporate partnership agreement with NHS Charities Together. Now the salons have re-opened, they are busy planning a number of fundraising activities which will include marathons, bike rides, parachute jumps, raffles and many more initiatives throughout the coming year.
“I would like to also take this opportunity to thank everyone one of our KH Hair family for their support, loyalty and determination in what has been an incredibly challenging time. I know we all can’t wait to be able to celebrate all together in the future. adds Darren.”
Full list of Award winners:
- Salon of the Year Award – Nottingham
· Salon Colour Award – Sutton
· Salon Turnover Improvement Award – Beeston
· Salon Retail Improvement Award sponsored by Wella – Beeston
· Salon Retail Improvement Award sponsored by Sebastian – Beeston
· Salon Service Award – Newark
· Salon Highest Retail Award – Nottingham
· Salon Highest Turnover Award – Nottingham
· Salon Clients Award – Arnold
· Marketing Award sponsored by Toast PR – Arnold and Nottingham
· Receptionists Award – West Bridgford
· Image of the Year – West Bridgford
· GHD Retail Award – Beeston
· Master Colour Award – Joanne Read – Ilkeston
· Individual Turnover Award – Hayley Chadwick – Ilkeston
· Individual Retail Award – Sean McMenamin – Nottingham
· Individual Clients Award – Hayley Chadwick – Ilkeston
· Rising Star Award – Isobel Molinari – Arnold
· 1st Year Apprenticeship Award – Heidi Lemm – Ashby