Europe’s largest taxi e-hailing app reveals success and local insights after one year in Nottingham
- Orbiting business – since launching, local cabbies have driven the equivalent of 17 times around the earth
- City hotspots – Derby Road is one of the most popular pick-up locations in Nottingham, ferrying students and partygoers to Talbot Street, a top drop-off spot for a night out
- Saturday night fever – between 23:00 and 00:00 on a Saturday night is the busiest time for taxi drivers on the app
NOTTINGHAM 1st March 2019 – mytaxi, Europe’s largest taxi e-hailing app, celebrates reaching new records in Nottingham since launching in the city one year ago. Since arriving in the city in 2018, drivers who are registered with the app have driven almost 700,000km – the equivalent of travelling over 17 times around the earth*.
Nottingham was the first location for mytaxi to launch the app outside of London, and is the most successful city in terms of business growth, after the capital. mytaxi now has almost 400 licensed taxi drivers in Nottingham signed up to the app, with over 41,000 passengers taking a trip in the last year – enough people to fill the Motorpoint Arena four times over. Proving to be a quick service, the average wait time for residents of Nottingham is just 5 minutes.
When it comes to most popular pick-up spots around the city, Derby Road is a regular on the list, with drivers frequently ferrying students and partygoers around town, especially to Talbot Street – one of the busiest drop-off locations known for its bustling nightlife. Furthermore, with locals looking for a fun night out, it’s no surprise that the busiest time of week for mytaxi drivers is between 23:00 and 00:00 on a Saturday night.
mytaxi last year launched in partnership with Nottingham City Council, providing the city with skilled and knowledgeable drivers and a guarantee of safe, reliable, convenient and cost-effective travel for its residents. The business now has a central role in Nottingham’s integrated transport system.
David Savage, General Manager at mytaxi comments: “We’re really pleased with how well the business is doing in Nottingham. It’s great to see the results after a year in the city, with almost 400 drivers now signed up to the app. We’ve really enjoyed working with the local council on this partnership and getting to know some of the drivers in the city who are using the app. Drivers using mytaxi in the city see, on average, 4 extra jobs per day, or almost 30 per week, so the app really is benefiting them. Passengers are also enjoying using the app to get them around safely.”
Kaleem Ashraf, a taxi driver from Nottingham comments: “Using the mytaxi app has really improved my work life and I haven’t looked back. It has enabled me to become more flexible with my jobs and has given me extra work when I need it.”
Amer Alam, a taxi driver from Nottingham said: “I recommend mytaxi it to all of my friends who are cabbies, the app gives you so many more extra jobs a week.”
mytaxi Nottingham in numbers:
- Drivers travelled almost 700,000km using the app
- Nearly 400 licensed taxi drivers signed up to date
- 41.5k+ passenger journeys to date
- Average 5-minute wait time for customers
- Station street is the most popular drop off destination
- Carrington Street is the most popular pick up spot