The developers behind a major building project in West Bridgford have announced a number of changes following public consultation.
Simons Developments Limited recently proposed a £20million mixed-use development on Wilford Lane, consisting of a residential area including retirement accommodation, a retail, pub and coffee shop area, anchored by a modern Lidl store.
The site – a derelict piece of land between the Becket School and the Roko Health Club – has been left abandoned for almost a decade following Sainsbury’s decision not to build an 80,000 sq ft store there.
The changes to the project include a reduction in the number of apartments; the heights of some of the residential buildings have been reduced; the design and layout of the development has been improved; and measures to ease traffic flow on Wilford Lane are proposed.
Frank Gillespie, development director at Simons, said:“Our consultation last year produced some very positive comments about bringing a Lidl store to the area.
“However, two major issues stood out. The heights of the residential buildings and because Wilford Lane is already seen locally as congested.
“We took that feedback on board and have amended both the design and layout of our proposals to better reflect those comments.
“The heights of some of the residential apartments have been lowered, so none exceed six storeys.
“This, of course, means that we have reduced the number of apartments, from 231 to 204.
“One of the buildings at the edge of the site has been reduced from seven storeys to four and repositioned so it no longer overlooks the Becket School.
“Affordable housing will be provided in accordance with Rushcliffe Borough Council’s requirements.
“In terms of traffic, we appreciate that Wilford Lane is, at peak times, already a very busy road.
“However, our surveys show that the development will add just a 6% increase of traffic to the network – the remaining 94% already exists.
“That said, we are proposing to upgrade the existing traffic lights at the Compton Acres junction with smart technology which monitors how long it takes someone to cross the road and adjusts the phasing of the lights accordingly.
“We would also like to implement a keep-clear area on Wilford Lane to make it easier for Bede Ling residents to leave their road.”
Dominic Bryan, Lidl GB’s regional head of property, said: “We’re really excited to be bringing a new, modern Lidl store to West Bridgford.
“Should we receive planning consent, our store will create around 40 new full and part-time jobs for local people and enhance shopping choice in the town, especially for those living close-by.”
The development has the potential to create approximately 80 to 100 jobs across the whole site.