The Local News plays a vitally important role within the communities that our printed titles serve. Residents and businesses rely on us to deliver, to provide their news and promote their services.
Established in 2001, The Local News series of publications continue to grow, bucking the national trend of declining print media outlets. Last year we launched 3 new Local News titles, as well as increasing our digital media activity to include an extended range of news stories. This year we have begun to publish The Local News Bygones, a monthly paid-for publication written by former Post contributor and author David McVey.
Our digital platforms complement our print media, with over 100,000 monthly visitors to our news website nottinghamlocalnews.com plus we continually strive to extend the reach of our social media platforms; Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
We now require a full-time editor for our suite of publications, to write stores, features and collate content from our many contributors,
With experience in print journalism, sourcing news content and digital media, we are looking for a highly motivated, talented writer to join our friendly family business based in the heart of Nottingham City centre.
Role and Responsibilities
- To source news stories, features, community information and other required content in order to populate printed newspaper titles and digital media channels.
- Ensure that contacts are made and maintained with stakeholders who will supply content as required above.
- To ensure that all content is delivered by the required deadlines.
- Procure any required photography.
- Support the sales team to plan and deliver seasonal features.
- Work with the designer to approve final layout ahead of the print date.
- Procure appropriate competition prizes from stakeholders.
- Assist with the management of websites and social media channels when required.
- Continually develop and enhance each publication with new ideas.
- Represent the company within the community and at stakeholder events as required.
- Previous experience in local journalism including copy editing and features writing
- The ability to deliver to meet strict print deadlines
- Experience with using website editing tools such as WordPress
- Fluent in the use of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Basic knowledge of InCopy and InDesign is advantageous
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to forge strong relationships with stakeholders
- An innovative and critical approach to problem solving
- A good local knowledge of the areas we serve would be advantageous
Hours of Work
- 37.5 hours per week
- Hours of work will be within normal office hours, with time in lieu awarded for working outside of office hours when required
· 121 Canal Street, Nottingham. NG1 7HB
- Competitive salary depending on previous experience in a similar role
- Uncapped bonus linked to company sales performance
- 25 days paid holiday in addition to public bank holidays
- Enrolment in company workplace pension scheme
- Use of the company vehicle whilst on company business
- Reimbursement of personal expenses where required
- Initial probationary period of 6 months with annual reviews thereafter
- Company funded training opportunities where required
To apply please submit your full CV to email@example.com by Friday 5th July 2019.
The Local News is currently looking for distributors to deliver our newspapers door to door in our local areas.
We offer flexible working hours and fantastic rates or pay.
If you love the outdoors, then this is the job for you!
We currently have vacancies in:
For more information or to request an application form please contact us on 0115 981 9200 or email our Distribution Manager Iain Swift firstname.lastname@example.org