By Lesley Comerie
Burton Joyce & Bulcote Women’s Institute had a bit of a do in the village to mark 100 years of the WI in Burton Joyce & Bulcote.
An afternoon tea was held to celebrate the first meeting of 78 ladies in 1919.
The WI county chairman, Pam Stoddard and vice-chairman,Helen Rose, kindly came along to join this celebration.
Originally the ladies met in the Men’s Institute, but by 1925 the ladies had raised £1,500 to enable Burton Joyce Village Hall to be built on land donated by a Mr Hearnshaw.
To this day, it is still our meeting place.